Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Feminist Pedagogy

I'm not sure how I would utilize feminist pedagogy in the classroom outside of attempting to create a more egalitarian classroom environment. It's not that I think that feminist pedagogy has no place in the composition classroom, but I feel that it may not be applicable in the 1101 or 1102 setting. At least, not on a grand scale.

However, I did connect with the Skorczewski article. From my experience as both a teacher and a coach at the secondary level, I think that learning to be yourself in front of your class or team is possibly the most important preparation for teaching or coaching or probably for any leadership position. I think we can forget how perceptive people, especially young people, can be. I have noticed, and it may just be my personality, that there is a great tendency in teachers and coaches to try to replicate the styles or personas of other successful teachers and coaches. However, if the persona you are presenting is not really you, you will be uncomfortable (unless you are a talented actor, I suppose), and the kids will sense this very quickly. Again, my experience is only at the secondary level, but I think kids, and also probably adults, gravitate toward confidence in leadership. Confidence, however, does not have to equate to authoritativeness. I have found that students are usually willing to listen and listen best when you are comfortable and confident with the way you are presenting yourself and the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment