Monday, March 29, 2010

Service Learning Pedagogy

In digesting Julier's essay , I found myself both draw to and fearful of service learning pedagogy. I am drawn to it because it not only provides opportunities for students to improve their writing skills but also encourages them to be socially aware. I was at first skeptical of how a student's writing skill could improve from writing pamphlets or public announcements for various non-profit organizations, but Julier made a great point. In order to write for an organization, the student must research it and be sure what and how to write. This exercise forces the writer to be very aware of their voice and can even allow for a writer to take on a different voice, if the voice of the organization is different from the writer herself. Also, these service learning projects require writers to be keenly aware of their audience. I think this is extremely beneficial to young writers, as audience awareness is often one of their greatest struggles.

However, I do have some reservations about service learning pedagogy. I feel it is imperative to allow choice for students in regard to service learning projects. If a professor requires students to work with a certain organization or limits the students' options of organizations, I think this type of pedagogy can boarder on teachers using the classroom as a soapbox to promote their own activism and political views. As long as students are being encouraged to become socially aware and not forced toward one political spectrum or the other, I think that service learning pedagogy can provide unique benefits to students.

No comments:

Post a Comment